Crime Prevention and Campus Safety Tips
PERSONAL SAFETY STARTS with YOU!
- Trust your instincts
- Show confidence in yourself
- Stay alert to your surroundings
CLEAN OUT YOUR PURSE or WALLET:
- NEVER leave personal items unattended or unsecured
ALWAYS HAVE THE CELL PHONE HANDY:
- Limit credit cards / Try to only carry one credit card if possible
- Do not carry your Social Security Card in your wallet or purse
- Limit the amount of cash on your person
- Make sure your keys are always easily accessible
MAINTAIN AND CLEAN YOUR VEHICLE:
- Make sure it is completely charged before going out
- Have emergency numbers and contacts programmed into your phone
- Clean inside and out - this will make your vehicle less vulnerable to criminals
- Always place valuables and bought items in your trunk
- Always maintain your vehicle (tire pressure, fluids, etc.)
- Never leave vehicle parked in one area for a long period of time
PARKING YOUR VEHICLE IN PARKING LOTS:
- Never leave posted notes on your door.
- Never leave your door or window unlocked or propped open.
- Never invite someone into your dorm room unless you know them.
- Never leave your valuables unsecured in your dorm room.
LATE NIGHT SHUTTLE SERVICE:
- Strategically park your vehicle so it will be easy for you to find
- Park your vehicle in a well-lit area at night
- Lock all doors and roll windows up before exiting
- Scan the area when exiting and entering your vehicle
- Always walk with a purpose and with confidence; make eye-to-eye contact with anyone in close proximity; Never act lost!
- Have keys in hand ready to open the door when approaching your vehicle
- Try to have hands free from book bags, etc.
- When you start your car lock the doors, and quickly exit the parking lot *Don't waste time sitting in your car while parked (ex. talking on the cell phone)
WALKING ON CAMPUS:
- Students are able to request late night transportation between locations on the main campus, Discovery Park, Mean Green Village and Victory Hall
- Call E-Ride Dispatch at 940-565-3014.
- Hours available for call taking will be 9PM until 2AM 7 days a week
- Service will be on-campus only for students with a valid student ID
- Please visit the Parking & Transportation website: unt.edu/transit
WALKING in CROSSWALKS and INTERSECTIONS
- Avoid isolated areas
- Learn campus geography and routes
- Dress sensibly - avoid flashy and expensive clothing/purses
- Learn where the Emergency phones are located on campus
- Use the buddy system (walking with others) when walking at night
CAMPUS CRIME STOPPERS @ 369-8477
- Watch for each car as it approaches to ensure it stops (eye contact)
- Take earphones or earplugs out of ears
- Do not text while crossing the road
- Get off the phone!
- Call if you see suspicious person(s), or activity
- Call if you have witnessed a crime
- You may remain anonymous
Sullivant Public Safety Center
1700 Wilshire Street Denton, Texas 76201-6572
Emergency Dial “911”