Acts or Threats of Violence
Threats of Violence
The threat of violence from an individual may be an implied or perceived threat, and may infer a physical or verbal threat to an individual or to the institution as a whole.
Acts of Violence
- If threat is not immediate, Contact UNT Police at 940-565-3000 as soon as possible, (either yourself, or an alerted associate).
- If you perceive threat as immediate call 911.
- Make every attempt to appear calm in your motions and in your voice.
- Attempt to alert others to your predicament.
- Advise the individual(s) (if you are actually speaking to them) that your main goal is to HELP them, not hinder them.
- Attempt to distance yourself from them, if possible.
- Await instructions from UNT Police.
- If the person has left the immediate area, IMMEDIATELY LOCK YOUR DOOR, if possible so you are protected.
- If the threat was made in person, and the person(s) have left the immediate area, endeavor to describe them to the best of your recollection, with details of the threat.
- If the threat was delivered by electronic means, do not destroy any records of the communication.
- If the threat was delivered by phone, IMMEDIATELY contact UNT Police at 940-565-3000 using a DIFFERENT LINE and await instructions. Note distinctive background noises, and voice characteristics.
- If you are a victim or witness of an assault or act of violence call 911 immediately.
- If necessary request immediate medical attention.
- At the crime scene DO NOT disturb any of the evidence.
Please contact UNT Police at 940-565-3000
if you have any questions or need more information.