View the Student Code of Conduct
The Office of Student Conduct and Academic Integrity is committed to cultivating an atmosphere of civility and respect among our students; this will in turn foster an environment conducive to academic success and personal development.
VCU Creed: Philosophy for a University Community
Academic institutions exist, among other reasons, to discover, advance and transmit knowledge and to develop in their students, faculty and staff the capacity for creative and critical thought. At Virginia Commonwealth University, members of the community should strive to exemplify the following specific ideals in addition to other worthy ideals:
- To demonstrate academic and personal integrity.
- To respect the rights and property of others.
- To be open to others' opinions.
- To uphold academic freedom and freedom of intellectual inquiry.
- To appreciate diversity and to value and learn from the uniqueness of each person.
- To uphold the right of all persons to be treated with dignity and respect and to refrain from all forms of intimidation, harassment and illegal discrimination.
- To demonstrate and respect intellectual courage in situations that demand it.
Students are required to engage in responsible social conduct that reflects credit upon the University community and to model good citizenship in any community.