About this guide
NGO CSW/NY is an untiring advocate with Member States for gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls across the globe in support of the work of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women and UN Women. NGO CSW/NY supports the implementation of the 1995 Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, UN Security Resolution 1325, the UN Millennium Development Goals and the Convention to Eliminate All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
NGO CSW/NY represents more than 100 member organizations and individuals concerned about thestatus of women and girls. Events at the UN headquarters in New York are monitored on a daily basis with daily participation.
Every year in New York, NGO CSW/NY organizes NGO Consultation Day in preparation for the session on the UN Commission on the Status of Women that takes place in February/March for two weeks. Activists gather from around the world to discuss issues pertaining to women and girls, to network, share strategies/best practices and to lobby governments to implement resolutions and treaties that they have signed. NGO Representative are brought together to caucus, issue joint statements and provide wording for the Agreed Conclusions of the annual United Nations Commission on the Status of Women.
NGO CSW/NY participants at CSW meetings conduct trainings and orientation for NGO representatives, and run an international listserv that continuously conveys emails and keeps women worldwide apprised of issues throughout the world on gender inequality issues.
- Monthly meetings featuring UN and government speakers
- Facilitation of NGO participation at CSW meetings
- Promotion of a gender perspective at the UN and other international meetings
- An annual “Woman of Distinction Award" to recognize a woman for her leadership in the struggle for gender equality and women's empowerment
- Maintenance of websites and communication via social media (Facebook, Twitter, Mail Chimp)
- An intern program