1. Guidebook Customers
- If you are a Guidebook Customer, when you register with us through the Site to create and manage Guides, we will ask you for Personal Information, such as your name, company name, email address, billing address, and credit card information. We use such Personal Information (in some cases, in conjunction with your non-identifying information, such as your zip code) mainly to provide and improve the Services, complete your transactions, administer your inquiries, and contact Guidebook Customers regarding account activities, new version and product offerings, or other communications relevant to the Services.
- In addition, we may collect Personal Information related to interactions of End Users with your Guides as described in Section 2. The instances where we may share such information with third parties are described in Section 4.
- You may review and update the Personal Information in your registration profile by logging in and editing such information in your dashboard. If you decide to delete all of your information, we may cancel your account. We may retain an archived copy of your records as required by law or for legitimate business purposes.
- Your Guide may be accessible via search engines or similar services. You can keep your Guide private by adjusting your privacy settings.
- The Content you post to Guides will be displayed to the End Users who download such Guides. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of the End Users who will view and use the Content.
2. End Users
- If you decide to download and use Guidebook App or a Guide published outside of the Guidebook App, you will have the option to provide Personal Information that we will collect and store. For example, the Service will collect the information you provide when you create a social profile that displays your name, title, company, profile picture, phone numbers for the purposes of sharing this information with other users using the same Guide or a closely related Guide. Other users will be able to see this information and we are not responsible for privacy practices of the other users who will view and use such information.
- The instances where we may share Personal Information with third parties are described in Section 4 below. In addition, by using the Service or providing Personal Information to us, you agree that we may share such information along with data collected through your use of the Service with Guidebook Customers, who, upon your consent, may share with other third parties such as sponsors of the events featured on the Guide. If you would like us to stop sharing your Personal Information, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You may be asked by Guidebook Customers to provide additional information to them, including your Personal Information, to be used and shared pursuant to their own privacy policies, if any. We encourage you to read any such privacy policies before providing any information to any Guidebook Customers or other third parties. While working with reputable customers is a top priority for us, we are not responsible for the use of your information by Guidebook Customers, and disclaim any liability related thereto.
- We may collect and store your location information if you enable your device to send it to us. Collection of this information may improve the provision of the Service. You may opt out at any time from allowing further access by us to your location data in the options menu or the location services settings menu of your mobile device.
- We may send email to the email address you provide to us to verify your account and for informational and operational purposes, such as account management, customer service, system maintenance, or information regarding the Sites and/or the Services.
- Guidebook Customers may use information, including Personal Information, to provide online advertising on a Guide and to facilitate transmittal of information that may be useful, relevant, valuable or otherwise of interest to you. Guidebook is not responsible for the privacy practices or policies of Guidebook Customers or the content of such advertisements.
This Section 3 describes the information that we may collect from Visitors. To the extent you are a Guidebook Customer or an End User and visit the Site or use the Guidebook App, this Section 3 will apply to you as well.
- If you contact us by email or by filling-out a registration form, we may keep a record of information you provide, such as contact information and correspondence, and may use such information to respond to you. In addition, we may use such details to send you information regarding the Site and/or the Services.
- When you visit the Site, our servers automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website (“Log Data”). This Log Data may include information such as your computer’s IP address, browser type or the webpage you were visiting before you came to our Site, pages of our Site that you visit, the time spent on those pages, information you search for on our Site, access times and dates, and other statistics such as identifiers for advertisers which is a unique identifier for your mobile device. We use this information to monitor and analyze use of the Site and the Services and for the Site’s technical administration, to increase our Site’s functionality and user-friendliness, and to better tailor it to our Visitors’ needs.
We use the following categories of cookies on our Site for the purposes set out below:
Essential session management cookies:
- These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the Site and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the Site. Without these cookies, services you have asked for cannot be provided to you.
- Creating a specific log-in session for a user of our Site in order that the Site remembers that a user is logged in and that their page requests are delivered in an effective, secure and consistent manner to allow you to navigate around the Site quickly.
- Recognizing when a Visitor to the Site has visited before; this means we can identify the number of unique Visitors we receive to the Site and allows us to make sure we have enough capacity for the number of users that we get.
- Recognizing when a Visitor to the Site is a registered user member.
- We may also log information from your computer including the existence of cookies, your IP address and information about your browser program in order to allow us to diagnose problems, administer and track your usage of the Services.
- These cookies allow our Site to remember choices or selections you make around functionality features (such as your user name, language selections or region within which you are located) and provide enhanced, more personal features. We also use these cookies to remember changes you make to other parts of our Site, which you may be able to customize from time to time. The information we collect via these cookies may be anonymized and they cannot track your browsing activity on other websites.
Performance and measurement cookies:
- These cookies collect information about how Visitors use a Site, for instance which pages Visitors go to most often, and if they get error messages from webpages. These cookies do not collect information that identifies a Visitor. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. It is only used to improve how the Site works.
- Collecting statistical information about how our Visitors use the Site so that we can improve the Site and learn which parts are most popular to Visitors.
- Some of the cookies used on our Site are set by us and some are set by third parties who are delivering services on our behalf.
- Essential session management cookies:
The following provisions apply to everybody (Guidebook Customers, End Users and Visitors).
- We collect Personal Information from social media websites when you use your social media credentials to register and/or log into the Service. For example, when you log in with your Facebook credentials, we may collect the Personal Information you have made publicly available in Facebook, such as your name and profile picture. We may also obtain other information with your permission, such as your email and username.
Company may disclose your information.
- Aggregate Information and Non-Identifying Information. We may anonymize and aggregate data collected through the Service and use it for any purpose. We may also disclose non-identifying information and Log Data with third parties for industry analysis, demographic profiling and other purposes.
- Service Providers. We may employ third-party vendors and service providers to facilitate our Site, Guidebook App and Services, to provide the Services on our behalf, to perform Site-related services (e.g., without limitation, maintenance services, database management, web analytics and improvement of the Site’s features) or to assist us in analyzing how our Site, Guidebook App and Services are used. These third parties have access to information that we collect from Guidebook Customers, End Users and Visitors only to perform these tasks on our behalf and will only use your information to the extent necessary to perform their functions.
- Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement. Guidebook cooperates with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We will access, preserve and disclose any Personal Information collected from Guidebook Customers, End Users and Visitors to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims and legal process (including but not limited to subpoenas), to protect the property and rights of Guidebook or a third party, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk of being, any illegal, unethical or legally actionable activity.
- We may also disclose your Personal Information with your permission.
Security of your information.
- By using the Service or providing Personal Information to us, you agree that we may communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy and administrative issues relating to your use of the Service. We will make any legally required disclosures of any breach of the security, confidentiality, or integrity of your unencrypted electronically stored “personal data” (as defined in applicable state statutes on security breach notification) to you via email or conspicuous posting on this Site in the most expedient time possible and without unreasonable delay, insofar as consistent with (i) the legitimate needs of law enforcement or (ii) any measures necessary to determine the scope of the breach and restore the reasonable integrity of the data system. You may have a legal right to receive this notice in writing. To receive free written notice of security breach (or to withdraw your consent from receiving electronic notice), please notify us at email@example.com.
- We do not knowingly collect, maintain, or use Personal Information from children under 13 years of age, and no part of the Service is directed to children under the age of 13. If you learn that your child has provided us with Personal Information without your consent, you may alert us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If we learn that we have collected any Personal Information from children under 13, we will promptly take steps to delete such information and terminate the child’s account.
Storage of your information and International Use
- Guidebook complies with the U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework and the U.S.-Swiss Safe Harbor Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of Personal Information from European Union member countries and Switzerland. Guidebook has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view Guidebook’s certification, please visit http://www.export.gov/safeharbor/. On October 6, 2015, the European Court of Justice (ECJ) issued its decision in the case of Maximillian Schrems v. Data Protection Commissioner, finding that the U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework is invalid. As a result of this decision, Guidebook is working on the implementation of a Data Processing Agreement which will incorporate approved Standard Contractual Clauses (SCCs), also referred to as Model Contracts. These SCCs provide a mechanism pre-approved by the European Commission as offering protection when transferring personal data from the EU. The Data Processing Agreement will be available shortly. Please check back for updates and further guidance. Guidebook remains committed to protecting personal privacy and will closely monitor developments in this area.
Links to Other Sites
- Our Site contains links to other websites. If you choose to visit one of these websites, you will be directed to that third party’s website. The fact that we link to a website is not an endorsement, authorization or representation of our affiliation with that third party, nor is it an endorsement of their privacy or information security policies or practices. We do not exercise control over third party websites. These other websites may place their own cookies or other files on your computer, collect data or solicit Personal Information from you. Other websites follow different rules regarding the use or disclosure of the Personal Information you submit to them. We encourage you to read the privacy policies or statements of the other websites you visit.
Guidebook Inc. Attn: Security Department 1 Zoe Street San Francisco, CA 94107
Initial Posting: April 25, 2011
Effective January 22, 2015
Last Updated Date: December 22, 2015
For a redline against the prior version, please e-mail us at email@example.com.